First LEGO® League is a result of an exciting alliance between FIRST and the LEGO Company. FLL introduces young people, ages 9-14, to the fun and excitement of science and technology while building self-confidence, knowledge and life skills. FLL challenges kids to think like scientists and engineers. Alongside adult mentors, FLL teams solve problems using engineering concepts, presentation techniques and robots. Our vision is for the robotics league to be as exciting and popular with students and parents as Little League football, basketball, baseball and soccer.
- Introduce LEGO robotics technology to 9-14 year old students (4th to 8th grade levels).
- Introduce and support a robotics based, informal educational program that creates excitement about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- Provide workshops for new teams, students, coaches, and parents.
- Lead the effort to introduce LEGO robotics in Washington County, Smyth County, City of Bristol, and Russell County.
- Encourage teams to form by late August or early September.
- Recruit volunteers for the Regional Lego Tournament that is held at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center.
Modest investments now can change young students’ education and career paths. Together, we can inspire tomorrow’s scientists and engineers, and improve students’ life skills to better prepare them for today’s high tech workplaces.
For more information about First Lego League, visit VA-DC First Lego League.